Wednesday, June 25, 2014

MY BAD GIRLS BOOK CLUB!

by Matuschka Lindo

Well, it's the first week of summer so it made me think of something I love to do this time of year… READ! Did I mention I can still do it without cheaters? Oh I heard all of you out there who just cursed at me. Don't worry I know I am on borrowed time with my 20/20 vision. I must confess I have turned into a book reader-slash-listener. I like to read in bed at night with a cup of tea or a yummy glass of wine. But I also like to walk or sometimes even drive and continue the book I'm reading. It completes my summer escape. Click Here for some of the best reads for 2014 in a variety of literary genre. I am part of a book club called Bad Girls Book Club! The name was chosen to welcome all… Meaning if you love to read come! If you don't like to read come drink and eat! If you read the book you were a good girl come share. If you didn't read that months book, bad girls are still welcome… come anyway and listen. It's a great Book Club no pressure, perfect for finicky me!

It's interesting to listen how others read. I fall in love with my characters. When I start a book, I become part of whatever family or situation I am reading about. So, I read one book at a time and I read slower the closer I get to the end. It's almost agony to leave the setting I am in and my new friends and the plot that has me riveted in the land of make believe until three or four in the morning. I have another very dear friend in book club that reads two or three books at one time. How can that be? When reading Rebecca and you are on the Manderley Estate watching the evil and sinister Mrs. Danvers spinning her web… how can you pause and then start reading Bill O'Reilly's Killing Jesus? You dare to leave Maxim to follow the historical events of the well known murder. How do you retrace the brutal killing of this man by roman soldiers; while at the same time, trying to justify the theft of a baby on Janus Rock? The high energy plot of The Light Between Oceans makes you ache for Tom, Isabel and Lucy. How can you keep up with all the lies… oh the terrible lies? ARGHHH I can't do it. So which type of reader are you? A wild love affair reading book lover, or the book monogamist like me? Do tell! I found a convert blogger who went from reading one book at a time to almost ten. Here is Rachel Ann Hanley's story.

Now for those of you who don't like to read (Christy L). It's really not a big deal as long as you are exercising your mind in other ways. There is an article that states Being a Lifelong Bookworm May Keep You Sharp in Old Age. If you have always loved to read it may slow down cognitive decline as you get older. But don't stress it's not just reading it's also writing. So choose one of the two or both because those who didn't do either, according to the study had a 48% faster memory decline. There is so much out there to read. Cook books, play books, magazines, newspapers, recipes and BLOGS! Don't panic because you aren't a book lover. Just read something else. Yes, Christy L. even baseball stats count! Go Cards!

Keep looking forward so you don't miss what God puts in front of ya!


Matuschka's Midlife... Telling it like it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment