Wednesday, June 4, 2014

THERE'S NOTHING LIKE A GOOD CRY!

by Matuschka Lindo

Did you CLICK on that pathetic scene of Bridget Jones's Diary? We've all been there. That day where we want to feel sorry for ourselves, we want to watch the sad movies on the couch and eat the gallon of ice cream. We just want to CRY and Cry Hard… WHY??? Well, for me its graduation season and I have my firstborn getting ready to graduate high school. Preparing for the college journey; which in turn means, I have spent the last few months holding in the tears trying to be in control. So when I woke up one morning this week and Beaches with Bette Midler was on, that was it… My reason to throw in the towel and bawl my eyes out. They say crying is a cleansing of sorts. Maybe I was trying to get rid of some tears that were building up. I don't know but I looked like Bridget did in the clip above. Hair mangled, in my pajamas schlepping around and eating shit I never put in my mouth anymore at 5:45 in the morning. Ice cream, Cinnamon Pop Tart, Nacho Cheese Doritos then panicking and thinking get it together and finishing up with Skinny Pop. Definitely going for the sweet salt thing here.

Researches say there is a lot of good that comes out of crying like elevating your mood and lowering stress. Actually they have 7 Good Reasons To Cry Your Eyes Out. I definitely think this is a female thing. I say its equivalent to watching a Bond 24 hour marathon on TNT for men. I even plan out these Good Cry All Day Events. Prime time for them is when I already feel sad. For some reason I want to go full throttle and just make myself feel worse and feed the pain. My brain works crazy that way, not sure this is normal. Kind of like when I cheat on my diet… I say screw it! Let's just eat like a garbage disposal now. I know the binge eating is not healthy but the water works show is a definite must at least twice a year. 

Funny thing that happens to me is that some of these shows I always catch at the same scene flipping through the channels. Never fails for Terms Of Endearment it's when Debra Winger is getting ready to say goodbye to her sons in that hospital bed and is putting on her make-up and that horrid orange/red lipstick. I know I should change the channel before that little boy comes in… BUT I CAN'T! I have to see it! I have to get to where my throat hurts. I am trying not to cry, then the tears start pouring down my face and the snot follows and I am practically mouthing the lines waiting for it to get more tragic. I can tell you my top Good Cry Movies and the scenes that have me just short of hyperventilating because I am crying so hard. Steel Magnolias, "Why! Why! Why!… Lord I wish I could understand!" Sally Fields is screaming with her friends around her talking about how she is so mad she doesn't know what to do because her daughter was taken away from her. Beaches, when the little girl runs into her bedroom and finds her mom dead on the floor and she starts screaming, "Mom wake up PLEASE I don't know what to do." And I can go on and on with my heart wrenching flicks, The Notebook and Stepmom. Here are Cosmopolitan's Top Tearjerkers! So if you see me with swollen eyes the next few weeks, I'm just working through this stage of my life which will demand another Good Cry Day. I think I'll go for the jugular with an oldie like Brian Song or Where The Red Fern Grows.

Keep looking forward so you don't miss what God puts in front of ya!


Matuschka's Midlife... Telling it like it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment