Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Names, Numbers and More OH MY!

by Matuschka Lindo

Hi… um… just give me a sec… Yes, I know you were in my wedding. It’s coming, just hold on. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRS 'S' Stephanie That's It! Hi, how are you!  I miss you… 'So much, that I flippin’ forgot your name!' It’s truly embarrassing that I can’t remember peoples names anymore. It’s weird, I just go blank. I know we have talked about memory loss as we get older, but that’s the multi tasking over stimulated phenomena. I'm talking basic names! Names of good friends, classmates, family etc. The name blank is just not right. To be at a family reunion and look across the room at a relative and think! Damn that’s what’s his face. Oh hell he’s walking my way… please please let it come! PLEASE! Name Gods don't let me down. Nothing! So, it goes something like this… Hi, how is my favorite Uncle? (Pathetic!) What is it about names that just POOF vanish from our minds? Might I add, at the absolute worst times? I have introduced friends that I have known for years at a party with the wrong name. I knew there had to be a good explanation for this, and apparently, forgetting someone’s name is a common misstep.  Studies show our brains are not really wired to remember names, according to a psychology professor from Northwestern University! AMEN I say, Amen! Now the next time you go to an event and you see the person checking everyone in, be nice. Cut those people some slack, especially (if it's me dammit) if they look over forty. Go up and immediately say your name even if you've known them since you were in diapers. They are probably so stressed out, knowing that the odds of forgetting their neighbor of 20 years is a high probability!

Do you think that’s why I call my son by my dogs name and my husband by my sons name, or is that something entirely different? Is that forgetfulness or more of a freudian slip where the name I shout out is who they are acting like? Maybe that’s similar to when I am writing and I forget how to spell a random word like 'school'. I stop and think wait is there an ‘H’ in school? Or wait what is in-between the ‘S’ and the ‘H’? Another word mind-blank is when I am writing a word like seen. Is it scene or seen? I just can't remember, then I write it out 5 different ways and see what looks good. Holy Cow! Talk about brain malfunction and wasted time! Forgetting how to spell common words is a problematic fault that can start crumbling as early as when you hit your Thirty’s. YIKES. Many people forget how to spell the most common of words like ‘hour' and ‘apple’. Click HERE to read more, and get a good laugh on common memory mistakes that can start early, according to recent research.

Numbers are also quite the joke. When I call information (411) I better have an army around me. One person remembers the area code, the next person the prefix, finally someone has to remember the last four digits. Lord knows I can't remember. I’m screaming the numbers out loud and trying to listen to the recording at the same time. That must count for something. Just the other day I was at a car dealership and they needed the number to my license plates. I ran out looked at the 6 number/letter combo. Ran back inside started to recite the letters and went BLANK after the second one. The 23 year old on the other end of the counter looked at me in a way that made me want to slap him. Hard! 

There is a name I will never forget. It's a name and word all in one and it's the first one that ever came out of my mouth. Poppy! With Father's day coming I wanted to say no matter what happens to my brain or mind as I age and things slowly deteriorate, all I have to do is look into my dads eyes and see the love that pours from them every day to know he's my poppy. I can look at pictures from every stage of my life and his eyes are twinkling with so much love for me. I am an official Merriam-Webster definition of a Daddy's Girl. This Sunday take a trip down memory lane with your father or the memory of your beloved dad. Refresh your memory with stories, pictures or old letters. My dad is the best I could ever ask for, Love You Poppy!  I'll end this with 21 of the Best Dad Movies!  Just in case you were looking for some good entertainment this Father's Day!

Keep looking forward so you don't miss what God puts in front of ya!


Matuschka's Midlife... Telling it like it is...



No comments:

Post a Comment